An Entirely Different Way to Experience the Zoo
To participate in the JZK program, participants must:
- Be 12 to 18 years old on June 1, 2023
- Be willing to volunteer consistently throughout the summer for at least 2 half-day shifts per week
- Available shifts are 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Attend orientation and any other required training
- Provide evidence of a negative TB test
- Provide their own lunch (if needed) and transportation to and from the Zoo
- Pay a program fee of $85 for members and $100 for non-members (tax included)
- The fee covers the cost of materials, 2 uniform t-shirts, and educational opportunities
- Please do not send this fee with your application
Scholarships may be available if the program fee is a hardship for your family. Please contact Education@GPZoo.org for more information.
Note for Families:
- The Junior ZooKeeper program is a commitment for the entire summer. We know that many teens have vacations or other camp programs, but if your child has significant summer commitments, please contact Education@GPZoo.org to see if accommodations can be made.
- The program is open to a limited number of participants.
- All Junior ZooKeepers are supervised by seasonal or full-time Zoo staff during their shifts.
The online application for summer 2023 will be available beginning Feb. 24, 2023. Click here to apply.
- Complete an application and submit it by Friday, April 7
- Returning JZKs should submit their applications by Friday, March 17
- Teens selected for an interview will receive an invitation
- Interviews for returning applicants will be held on Saturday, April 1 and Sunday, April 2
- Interviews for new applicants will be held on Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30
- Teens selected for the program will receive notification of acceptance by May 8
- The program will kick off with a party on Wednesday, May 24
- Program fee, TB tests, and scheduling calendars must be turned in on this date
- Orientation is required for all JZKs
- Levels White & Yellow will have orientation from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Tuesday, May 30
- Levels Red & Purple will have orientation from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM on Wednesday, May 31
- The program begins on June 1 and ends on Aug. 13
- JZKs will be recognized for their hard work at an Achievement Ceremony on Aug. 16