Educators at the Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum of Natural History are responsible for general day-to-day coordination and execution of ZooCamp in addition to the general day-to-day supervision of approximately 50 or more teenage participants of the Junior Zookeeper (JZK) program. Educators may also assist with additional activities related to the Education Department and special events for the Zoo.
We are looking for enthusiastic, self-reliant and self-starting individuals who are available to teach age-appropriate educational activities and lessons for the summer programs which run from June through August.
Qualified candidates must:
* Be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
* Provide superior customer service to guests.
* Have excellent verbal communication skills.
* Have the ability to speak comfortably with guests and large groups.
* Must be able to work indoors and outdoors during various types of weather.
* Be observant and efficient.
* Submit to a pre-employment criminal background check.
Experience working with children, teens and/or animals is preferred.
* Train on and handle Education program animals to provide excellent natural history and engaging experiences for ZooCamp participants and other Zoo guests.
* Provide day-to-day care and diets as well as daily cleaning of the Hy-Vee Face to Face Farm animals and their exhibits by working alongside JZK participants.
* Maintain appropriate supervision and safety for ZooCamp participants.
* Provide exceptional animal care that meets the standards held by the Animal Care staff.
* Follow all instructed guidelines concerning the animals in the Hy-Vee Face to Face Farm and Education Dept.
Love this zoo! Great place to get a walk in and the animals are everywhere! The museum/indoor part is very educational too. Has a lot of shade for when it's hot out. Very clean. Friendly staff.Taylor F.
We love to visit the zoo. They have great outdoor exhibits and lots to do inside as well. Great for kids and adults.Robin A.
Lots of great exhibits and animals to see! Fun gift shop and learning center.Stephanie N.
A really great zoo featuring some exotic species and I liked the focus on conservancy/breeding to preserve species for the rhinos. The safari area's cheetah was awesome to see. During a week day going, it was quite open to walk around and enjoy without too much crowding.Joseph H.
The museum gives you a break from the sun on hot summer days and has a great selection of animal exhibits from around the world. The zoo keeps growing and adding new animal habitats or improving existing ones. Membership offers reciprocal benefits to other zoos around the country.Bill T.