Come join us at the Great Plains Zoo as a full-time or part-time facilities specialist. Facilities Specialists perform a variety of semi-skilled work in the repair and maintenance of Zoo buildings, grounds, equipment and exhibits.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshoot minor maintenance problems involving electrical, structural, plumbing and equipment repair or replacement.
- Assist in construction, alteration, preparation, painting and repair to structures made of wood, plaster, concrete or brick: assists in the construction of cabinets, tables, shelves and other furniture.
- Assists in the installation, repair and maintenance of fences, roofs and walls.
- Assists in the maintenance and minor repairs to heating, ventilation systems, air conditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment, plumbing and heating fixtures and components, pumps, valves and boiler systems.
- Assists in the trouble shooting, repair, and maintenance of electrical distribution systems including electric motors, electric controls, fire alarms and clock systems.
- Assists in the repair and maintenance of lockable hardware such as doors, automatic electric doors, windows, lockers and magnetic keying systems to ensure safety of facilities and maintains records on keys made and issued and lock replacements.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of plumbing and heating fixtures and components, piping of various size and type, checks safety equipment and replaces components such as washers, gaskets, and filters.
- Painting and staining indoor/outdoor areas including offices, fences, ceilings, classrooms, exhibits, walls, etc.
- Set up and tear down tables, chairs, sound systems for zoo sponsored events.
- Knowledge of and physical ability to use equipment, machinery and tools used in repair and maintenance of buildings, equipment, grounds and exhibits.
- Extensive skills using hand and power tools.
- At least 2 years' experience working in trades related to building maintenance and repair, including construction, plumbing, electrical and/or HVAC.
- Previous experience in welding is beneficial, but not required.
- Knowledge of and skill in following safety practices, occupational hazards and recognizing hazards.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Experience and knowledge of Windows based software systems.
- This position will include weekend hours and will include work in environments that are dusty/dirty and in varying weather and temperature conditions.
- Candidates must be able to possess a valid driver's license, and pass a background check prior to employment.
The Great Plains Zoo is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to foster a greater understanding of our natural world through Education, Conservation, Recreation and Discovery. The Great Plains Zoo cares for animals from around the world and offers up-close views of animals often not found in larger zoos.
The 45-acre Great Plains Zoo is located in Sioux Falls, SD a vibrant and growing community!
- A metro population of over 278,000.
- Smart Asset ranks Sioux Falls first as the Best City For Young Professionals in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- ZipRecruiter identified Sioux Falls as the third hottest job market in 2020.
- WalletHub ranked Sioux Falls as No. 15 on the 2019 list of Happiest Cities in America.
- Livability ranked Sioux Falls No. 7 among the 2019 Top 100 Best Places to Live
Full-time positions include competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life and short and long term disability insurances, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, eight paid holidays and a PTO allowance.