Come join us at the Great Plains Zoo as a Facilities Manager. The Facilities Manager is responsible for maintaining the buildings, equipment and exhibits at the Great Plains Zoo. The Facilities Manager performs and supervises tasks related to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, security, environmental, safety, custodial, autos, carts and event set-up. The Facilities Manager may assist with improvements to buildings, grounds and exhibits. Facilities Manager is also responsible for the daily direction of the maintenance staff.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages and performs work related to the maintenance onf Zoo buildings including, but not limited to HVAC, plumbing, electrical and janitorial.
- Maintains equipment on Zoo grounds by closely monitoring equipment and completing necessary testing as required. Also maintains accurate records of all maintenance and repairs. Performs repairs as needed.
- Administers the facility maintenance managment software. Assigns tasks to appropriate team members(s).
- Manages the preventive maintenance program, schedule and prioritize repair and/or corrective maintenance work.
- Maintains the facilities database that accurately reflect the maintenance hisotry of facilities/equipment and schedule future replacement and reapirs.
- Oversees janitorial services and needs of the Zoo.
- Ensures proper scheduling of set up and take down for meetings, events, weddings, and other events as directed.
- Promotes safety and professionalism by ensuring work areas are clean, organized and in compliance with codes and safety requirements.
- Works with supervisor to report problems, suggest solutions, and estimate cost associated with projects and repairs.
- Leads the daily maintenance meeting and provides status updates on all pending projects as requested.
- Serves as the primary contact for contractors and vendors as they relate to maintenance.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with all contractors and vendors ensuring efficient facility operations.
- Ensure proper handling, storage, safekeeping and destruction of hazardous materials. Maintains Zoos SDS system.
- Works with supervisor to develop and manage annual department budget.
- Maintains Zoo wide asset inventory list and reviews and updates it at least annually.
- Assists Zoo vendors (utility, technology, etc) when service affects facilities.
- Regularly inspects Zoo property for areas of concern.
- Ensures implementation and compliance of policies as they relate to the department.
- Serves as primary contact for facility-related emergencies, which may require evening and weekend response.
- Develops, oversees and may assist teams of volunteers providing Zoo maintenance services such as cleaning, painting, repairing, etc.
- Act as primay liaison with on-site City Parks grounds maintenance employees.
- Serves as primary contact for security vendor and patrol vendor.
- Conducts performance appraisals.
- Liaison with utility providers and outside contractors as required.
- Must have strong knowledge of an ability to perform routine plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, welding, masonry, HVAC, refrigeration, etc tasks in accordance with state, city and national regulatory organizations such as OSHA.
- Requires strong communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Rquires strong customer service skills.
- Manual dexterity and stamina and ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Must be able to tolerate and be exposed to occasional loud noises, strong odors, toxic or caustic chemicals, dust, hay, animal fur/dander/hair.
- Must be able to climb ladders/stairs, operate various types of machinery/equipment and carry up to 70 lbs.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Must be proficient in the use of computers including MS Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint).
- Must maintain a current tetanus vaccination and be willing to be TB tested annually.
- Must be able to become CPR certified within 1 year of employment.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays and evenings as required for various Zoo events and or maintenance needs.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to pass a pre-employment background check.
- Must be COVID vaccinated and provide proof of such.
- Minimum HS diploma or GED; associates or college degree preferred in Facilities Mgmt, Engineering or other related field.
- Minimum 5 years' experinece in facilities in a complex organization or construction.
- Knowledge of facilities systems is preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience is required.
The 45-acre Great Plains Zoo is located in Sioux Falls, SD, a vibrant and growing community!
- A metro population of over 278,000.
- Smart Asset ranks Sioux Falls first as the Best City For Young Professionals in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- ZipRecruiter identified Sioux Falls as the third hottest job market in 2020.
- WalletHub ranked Sioux Falls as No. 15 on the 2019 list of Happiest Cities in America.
- Livability ranked Sioux Falls No. 7 among the 2019 Top 100 Best Places to Live
Full-time positions include competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, life and short and long term disability insurances, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, eight paid holidays and a PTO allowance.