The Communications Manager will play a pivotal role in the execution of integrated, comprehensive communications through multiple media including print and electronic collateral; news/feature media and social media. This position will assist in creating and implementing the Zoo's digital, internal and external communications, media relations and marketing activities. The Communications Manager will work closely with leadership to produce and deliver compelling communications that will drive Zoo attendance and raise awareness of the Zoo's education and conservation work.
* With direction from leadership, directs the implementation of marketing and communication initiatives at the Zoo.
* In consultation with leadership, writes copy for printed promotional and informational materials including Zoo maps, rack cards, electronic and print media, advertising, membership brochures and other collateral.
* Writes content for Zoo's website and social media channels.
* Contributes to the production of communication pieces to Zoo members and the general public (e-news, emails, annual reports, etc)
* Develops and maintains an editorial calendar for all the Zoo's media channels, including email, social media and website.
* Prepares news releases and makes media calls to pitch stories to raise visibility of the Zoo and its activities. Assist with the development of key messages, backgrounders and other media materials.
* Creates and executes an annual media placement strategy in conjunction with leadership.
* Accompanies photographers and other media on grounds.
* Secures media interviews (radio, TV, newspaper, etc) and b-roll to promote events or stories. May serve as Zoo spokesperson at the request of CEO for select television, radio and newspaper opportunities.
* Assist with research and writing for grants as needed.
* Requires a college degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field or equivalent experience.
* 3 - 5 years' experience with an advertising agency or a corporate communications environment.
* Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a marketing/event department of an attraction or venue with an understanding of and ability to drive attendance through engaging and impactful communications, special events and promotions.
* Demonstrated media relations experience is preferred.
* Proficiency with Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint and Outlook is required.
* Candidates must have a valid driver's license and be able to pass a pre-employment background check.
This position requires outstanding communication and organizational skills. This position will require extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed for special events.
Love this zoo! Great place to get a walk in and the animals are everywhere! The museum/indoor part is very educational too. Has a lot of shade for when it's hot out. Very clean. Friendly staff.Taylor F.
We love to visit the zoo. They have great outdoor exhibits and lots to do inside as well. Great for kids and adults.Robin A.
Lots of great exhibits and animals to see! Fun gift shop and learning center.Stephanie N.
The museum gives you a break from the sun on hot summer days and has a great selection of animal exhibits from around the world. The zoo keeps growing and adding new animal habitats or improving existing ones. Membership offers reciprocal benefits to other zoos around the country.Bill T.