Come join us at the Great Plains Zoo!
The Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum of Natural History is seeking a full-time Zookeeper. The Zoo is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster a greater understanding of our natural world through Education, Conservation, Recreation and Discovery. The Great Plains Zoo cares for more than 1,000 animals from around the world and offers up-close views of animals often not found in larger zoos, including Giraffes, Tigers, Rhinos and a national award-winning Snow Monkey exhibit. The Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) and sees approximately 300,000 visitors annually.
Zookeepers are responsible for the specialized work involving all aspects of general care and feeding of zoo animals including the cleaning and maintenance of buildings, grounds, and exhibits. Zookeepers at our facility will work with a variety of species across several different taxonomic classes on a daily basis.
• Provide all aspects of daily care for the animals in assigned exhibits and holding areas including but not limited to:
• Maintain exhibits and holding areas in a clean and presentable condition at all times
• Observe the animal collection for any signs of illness, lethargy, injury or dietary problems and report any problems to supervisors.
• Assist the supervisors and/or Veterinarian staff in routine animal examinations and medicate animals with prescribed treatments.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers as well as interact and communicate well with the general public.
• Maintain daily reports, medical records, enrichment logs and other records as needed.
• Give presentations to guests on a regular basis (Keeper Chats) and answer guests' questions about animals and exhibits.
• Perform basic restraint, crating/un-crating and transport of animals as required. Must have the ability to operate various sizes of animal squeeze cages for medical purposes.
• 4-year college degree in Biology, Animal Science, Zoology or related field; or an equivalent level of work experience and education as determined by the hiring authority.
• Previous zoo experience is preferred.
• Must be able to work a flexible work schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings as required.
• Must maintain a valid driver's license.
The 45-acre Great Plains Zoo is located in Sioux Falls, SD a growing community with:
• A metro population of over 259,000
• A healthy economy and a robust arts and cultural scene
• Recognition from Forbes magazine as the second-best small metro area in the nation for business and careers.
• Coverage from the Wall Street Journal under the headline "As Many Midwest Cities Slump, Sioux Falls Soars".
Full-time positions include competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and long term disability insurance, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, eight paid holidays and a PTO allowance.
Love this zoo! Great place to get a walk in and the animals are everywhere! The museum/indoor part is very educational too. Has a lot of shade for when it's hot out. Very clean. Friendly staff.Taylor F.
We love to visit the zoo. They have great outdoor exhibits and lots to do inside as well. Great for kids and adults.Robin A.
Lots of great exhibits and animals to see! Fun gift shop and learning center.Stephanie N.
The museum gives you a break from the sun on hot summer days and has a great selection of animal exhibits from around the world. The zoo keeps growing and adding new animal habitats or improving existing ones. Membership offers reciprocal benefits to other zoos around the country.Bill T.