Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum of Natural History
Animal Care Intern
THIS INTERNSHIP IS UNPAID AND NO HOUSING IS PROVIDED
The Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum of Natural History in Sioux Falls, SD is offering an opportunity for education and experience for tomorrow's workforce. The Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum has several internship opportunities available to hose interested in pursuing a career in Animal Care and Zoo Management.
General Statement of Duties
The Animal Care Intern is responsible for assisting the Zookeeper in the daily care and feeding of zoo animals including the cleaning and maintenance of buildings, grounds, and exhibits.
- Assist Zookeepers with daily care of the animals in their exhibit and holding areas. Maintains exhibits and holding areas in a clean and presentable condition at all times.
- Assist in the observation of the animal collection for signs of illness, general lethargy, injury, and dietary problems.
- Must have the ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to climb ladders/stairs/fences, lift and carry crates/animals/feed weighing 70lbs., operate mowers, handle fire hose for cleaning, operate weed eaters, load and operate wheel barrows loaded up to 150lbs., be agile and flexible to maneuver in and around animals within exhibits, corrals and holding areas.
- May be asked to complete season long project assigned by the Area Supervisors and/or the Director of Animal Programs.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned by the Area Supervisors and/or the Director of Animal Programs.
- Must have strong communication skills as speaking with the general public is required.
- Animal Care Interns are asked for a 400 hour commitment for the summer.
Health and Safety
Must maintain current tetanus vaccination (5 years) and be willing to have annual TB test screening done. Must be able to lift and carry up to 70lbs.
Requires high school diploma or GED certificate; Prefer candidates that are pursuing a degree in a zoological related field; Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and evenings as assigned; Must commit to a schedule; Must maintain a valid drivers license.
If interested send cover letter, resume and volunteer application to:
Leigh Spencer - Education Services Manager
Great Plains Zoo
805 S Kiwanis Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57104